Here are some ideas that will help make your website in private.
* First thing to do is to choose a site generator with a private option. You can now create a website for free, the one that can protect the entire site and let you control the traffic towards it. Wordpress.com or myfamily.com has these options. All you have to do is register and create your site's name and address. You can also pay for a premium registration if you want your own URL, with no ads or other perks. This is how you avoid pop-outs, spam and other unnecessary links towards your site.
* Second you need to use password protection. This is the most important step in learning how to build a private website. The website generator has a visibility option that says public, private and password protected. To prevent things from being misleading choose the password protected option. Make your password personal, and easy to remember; but never easy enough to be figured out by other people. Otherwise that would defeat the purpose of creating your site. In cases where a change of password is called for these web generators will also allow it, so you can assure your website privacy every now and then.
* Third try to fill your website with content. If you do not wish to post blogs just skip the blog options when creating the site and go immediately to the create pages option. Now you can start filling your website with texts, articles and upload videos and photos that you wish to share with a selected few. There are web gallery generators you can download in case you want you site to be extra special, say create photo slide shows to entertain your visitors.
* Fourth should send invitation to family and friends. You can send an e-vite (invitation through email) to people you wish get to view your website and be updated every time there are new entries that they are to look out for.
* Lastly you need to test your website privacy. Try visiting your website by entering it on the web browser and see if it opens your site. If it doesn't then you've successfully created a very personal site. Now you can enjoy socializing online with only your own social circle without worrying that somebody would see or hacked your profile.